“Keeping your health at the centre of what we do”

Call Us +350 200 79700

Healthcare Entitlement & Registration

Guidance notes on applying for the Medical (Group Practice) SchemeThe Gibraltar healthcare scheme is based on a contributory system called the Group Practice Medical Scheme (GPMS), through which entitled persons and their dependents may access health care.

The rules of entitlement to health care are essentially governed by the Medical (Group Practice Scheme) Act, the Medical (Group Practice Scheme) Regulations, the Medical (Group Practice Scheme) (Contributions) Regulations, the UK / Gibraltar Reciprocal Agreement and EC Regulations 883/2004. Some of the rules are quite complex and it is extremely difficult to summarise accuracy.

The Group Practice Medical Scheme is a contributing scheme through which entitled persons and their dependents can access health care.

The classes of persons entitled to be registered are set out in section 4 of the Act, Regulation 4 of the Regulation and Schedule 1 to the Regulations Section 5 provides for the payment of contribution to the scheme (www.gibraltar.gov.gi) Laws of Gibraltar.

The scheme allows entitled persons and their dependents to access health care free of charge. Medicines are available at a cost of £2.50 per item on the prescription subject to a maximum charge of £7.50. Dental treatment is only available to children. Adults may be seen for emergency treatment only.

If you are working in Gibraltar you would have to prove that your social insurance payments are up to date. This can be done by either submitting a letter from the Contributions Unit, which is in College Lane, and this would confirm your payments. By presenting your latest tax code or payslip, we would be able to check this.

Persons residing in Spain and working in Gibraltar would need to apply for a S1, in order for dependents to receive routine treatment in their country of residence, thus being Spain.

You will also be required to be registered with the Civilian Registration Status Office if residing in Gibraltar.

An S1 is a certificate of Entitlement to sickness and maternity insurance benefits for persons residing in a country other than the competent country.

These forms are issued by the competent institution, in this case, The Tax Office, Contributions Unit, to cover ‘Frontier Workers’ and their families. The workers can choose where they receive treatment.

If you work in Gibraltar are entitled to medical treatment on both sides of the border.

You should first register in the country where you work and get an S1 form (former E106 form) from the Contribution Unit, Income Tax Department in Gibraltar. This form entitles your dependents to register for health insurance in the country where you live. Your dependents can receive treatment in the country where you work only when one of the following conditions are met:
• treatment becomes necessary on medical grounds during their stay in that country, taking into account the nature of the treatment and the expected length of the stay
• prior authorisation has been granted using form S2 (E112 form) issued by the health insurance authority in the country where you live.
Once you are in possession of all documents required, you can bring it all to our Registration Office which are situated on the 2nd floor of the ICC Building, Casemates Square. Upon arrival you should request the registration forms, and these can be completed with one of our officers.

You may contribute either through social insurance contributions if you are working, or by Voluntary Contributions. To make Voluntary Contributions, it would be subject to Government’s approval. The rate at present is at £23.45 per week, and payments are to be paid 13 weeks minimum in advance.

If you wish to register as a voluntary contributor you will need to obtain residency in Gibraltar first from civil status, and then submit your application to us which we would then process through management when they hold their next Board meeting.


Primary Care Centre Registration & Health Entitlement

PDF Icon Small Registration – E111 Application Form

PDF Icon SmallGuidance notes on applying for the Medical (Group Practice) Scheme

PDF Icon Small Application for Inclusion of Dependent

PDF Icon SmallChange of Name & or Address Form

PDF Icon SmallForm of application – GHA Medical(Group Practice) Scheme

PDF Icon Small Renewal form – GHA Medical (Group Practice) Scheme

PDF Icon Small Pregnancy of Registration Form

PDF Icon Small PCC Information Leaflet

To Register at the Primary Care Centre you require the following items:

  • A Passport Photo
  • A valid ID Card/Passport
  • Proof of contribution- This form can be obtained from the Social Services Department. They will provide you with a letter confirming your contribution to GPMS.
    If you are a frontier worker you will require all the above including a work contract form provided by the Employment and Training Board located at New Harbours.

For any further information please do not hesitate to contact the Registration Department during opening hours on Tel: +350 20007833 or 20007890.

Registration Opening Hours:

Monday to Friday – 9am – 12:30pm